Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Gentleness Challenge–How I CHOOSE to Respond

How many times a day in your house do you hear “But she made me….”?  How many times do you hear yourself saying “Mommy’s sorry that I yelled but you….”.  Right now we’re working on being responsible for how we respond to someone wronging us.  We’ve been hearing a lot lately “she just gets on my nerves and makes me yell at her”.  Do other people make us respond the wrong way?  No.  It is a choice.  It is a discipline in self-control and it’s a hard lesson to learn.  For both mom, dad and kids.

Galatians 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control

When we practice self-control, and choose to respond with gentleness we are showing our children the work of the Holy Spirit in our own lives.  The Holy Spirit can help us learn self-control but only if we choose to respond. 

Check out this  post from http://womenlivingwell.org.  I read the Duggar’s book a few years ago and was challenged way back then to be “slow to anger” and gentler with my kids.  This post is a good reminder of how to be a gentler mom.

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment