Monday, February 20, 2012

Valentines, Food, Basketball, and Parenting

We had a very full and busy week!  The title pretty much sums it up.   Matt was invited to a Dutch Farms food show in Chicago on Valentines Day, and since we are never ones to pass on a free hotel and night away we graciously accepted.  Grandma Carr came and stayed with the kids overnight so we could enjoy a night away.  A long time ago Matt and I gave up celebrating just the two of us on Valentines day.  I started a tradition of having a very special dinner for Valentines.  I decorated and the kids dressed up for dinner (it was convenient following Christmas that they always had red to wear).  We’ve been doing this for the last 10 years so I was a little sad to be leaving my little “valentines” so we celebrated on Sunday.  The kids have given up on dressing up but they still enjoy the special dinner.

DSC02293

We had steak, (kids choice), RED skin potatoes, RED pop, and RED jell-o for desert.  We invited Grandma and Papa Carr and had a nice Sunday dinner together.

 

Matt and I enjoyed our quick trip to Chicago.  We stopped at IKEA to buy some things I’ve had my eye on for some organization projects then had dinner at the show place with dueling pianos for entertainment.  We ate WAY too much food at the show.  There were 50 different booths all serving samples!!  Everything from pies, cheeses to Chicago style hot dogs. It was a lot of fun.  Dutch Farms is a Christian owned company and it was awesome to hear the owner ask God to bless the day and their business before the show started.  We had a wonderful time together and I am so thankful for little perks like this that come with Matt’s job.

On Friday we took the older kids to HCA’s Homecoming Basketball game.  Again, grandma came to the rescue and let Ben and Jacob stay the night with her.  I love high school basketball games!  We played the homeschoolers and it was a great game.

Both teams joined in prayer before the game.  This was not something I ever saw at my high school games!  It was a very sweet moment when they dedicated the game to God and asked to glorify him with their talent and abilities.

homecoming game

hca dancing

To celebrate their victory the students danced in the middle of the court.  What was awesome is that there were kids from other schools and homeschoolers who joined in to support their friends. 

On Saturday Matt and I attended a Parenting workshop through a local church.  Here are some key points that I took away from the workshops.

  • We will all go through a wilderness period (like God’s people on their way to the promised land) both in our marriages and with our children.  God is using this time to bring us closer to him.
  • Too much screen time causes us to miss out on emotional connections with our children.
  • Bring them away from the TV (to do something together)-Don’t send them away. 
  • James 1:20  The wrath of man (or mom) does not accomplish the righteousness of God.  This goes perfectly with my gentleness challenge! 
  • If you can’t handle your own emotions your child will not give you theirs. 
  • Establish House Rules – “In this house we do… and we don’t…” 
  • We attended a Love and Logic workshop and I really want to read more about it.  She had some very simple and practical strategies.  My favorite was for dinnertime battles.  Her suggestion was to offer them what was served for free but if they wanted something else from the kitchen they had to pay for it!  I love it and I’m going to use it! 
  • Deuteronomy 6:6-7  These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 

Favorite pics of the week

I asked Jacob if he made this snowman at school and he replied “No, I made a snowdude!” HA!!

DSC02312

Ben wore this sweater to church on Sunday, he looked so handsome in it I had to take his picture.  Nana Bonenfant knitted it for Joe and now it fits Ben.  It looked amazing with his blue eyes. 

DSC02308

I think it’s so sweet how Jacob has his arm around his brother.  These moments make a mama’s heart happy.  I’m so glad they have each other. 

DSC02310

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment